There’s something inherently charming about cocktails. They’re not just drinks; they’re experiences. Sophisticated cocktails can take the form of innovative avant-garde creations or timeless, traditional recipes. But what makes a cocktail elevated?
Elevated Cocktails: The Basics
Transforming a simple drink into a sophisticated, palate-pleasing masterpiece, means your cocktail should adhere to some simple requirements.
- Exceptional Ingredients: At the heart of an elevated cocktail is exceptional ingredients. This means using premium spirits, fresh fruits, handcrafted syrups, and high-quality bitters and mixers. The ingredients of a cocktail directs the quality of the cocktail and is the most important component of a sophisticated cocktail.
- Precision of Temperature and Dilution: Ice is not just for cooling; it’s a key component that influences the final texture and balance of a cocktail. Some cocktails require the dilution of slow melting ice, others shine at room temperature. However a cocktail is prepared, the temperature of the drink matters nearly as much as the ingredients.
- Storytelling through Presentation: Aesthetic appeal is another hallmark of elevated cocktails. From the choice of glassware to the garnishes used, presentation matters. Mixologists craft drinks that have whole histories and stories of their own. Paying attention to the presentation shows pride in the craft.
- History and Innovation: A vital aspect of creating elevated cocktails is the understanding and appreciation of the history behind each drink. Understanding why a cocktail’s recipe remains unchanged for years is an important baseline. But elevated cocktails are not necessarily bound by tradition; they embrace innovation and trends. Mixologists are continually experimenting with new techniques and ingredients, staying ahead of the curve.
Make yourself a sophisticated cocktail from our Joseph Magnus Cocktail Guide, or try this one below:
First served in Detroit in 1915, this 100+ year-old gin cocktail has developed a reputation for being a little sweet, a little sharp, and very sophisticated.
- 1 oz Joseph Magnus Vigilant Navy Strength Gin
- .75 oz Green Chartreuse
- .75 oz maraschino liqueur
- .75 oz lime juice
- Brandied cherry, garnish
Add Joseph Magnus Vigilant Navy Strength Gin, Green Chartreuse, maraschino liqueur, and lime juice into a shaker with ice and shake until well-chilled. Strain into a chilled coupe glass. Garnish with a brandied cherry.
Find our spirits at a retailer near you or buy online and savor and share your elevated cocktails using #josamagnus on social. Join our mailing list to stay up to date with the latest from Jos. A. Magnus. You can also follow us on Facebook and Instagram to stay up to date.